Tuesday 28 February 2017

My Experience at a Ladies Car Care Course.

I have been driving since i was 16 years old. Its embarrassing to admit before i completed the ladies car care course, I didnt even know how to open the car bonnet!

When i was asked to come along to this course i was so excited that finally i would be able to know the basics I felt I should already have known.

The course went for 2 hours at Ashbury Service Center a family owned and operated business located in Sydney's inner west at Charles Street, Canterbury.

We got some history of the family owned operation. Nicole and Danny, brother and sister along with their father Manuel, have worked together for the last 6 years. They started as a team of three and now have a team of four technicians and full time receptionist. Ashbury Service Center were named the winner of the 2016 Local Business awards for the Automotive Services Category, and have also just been awarded as a Finalist in the 2017 Australian Small Business Champion Awards.


There were 7 Ladies who all had 7 different cars in this course. It meant we would learn each step on different cars, I thought this was great as you never know when you might change cars or borrow a friends or family members.


What did we learn:

MONTHLY BONNET CHECK
Taking 10 minutes each month and competing  these simple steps, it could potentially save lots of money and stress.

1. Engine Oil-  Make sure oil is adequately topped up. Having low oil affects the way the engine runs, but having too much oil is also quite dangerous and can be a costly exercise. We learnt how to check engine oil correctly and what to do if either's on the low or high.

2. Windscreen Washer Fluid- Ensuring the levels are always at a comfortable level. If it runs low you could be posing a serious visibility risk. We also learnt what and how to top it up with.

3. Coolant- How to check it is filled and how to spot that there is an issue. This is quite a delicate reservoir as the coolant actually cools the engine and prevents it from overheating.

4. Battery check- We were shown to have a look if around the terminals there was no corrosion. If it looks corroded we were shown a quick and easy trick of how to solve the issue ensuring a longer lasting battery life.

5. Get rid of potential Spiders-This was one we paid extra special attention!  By ensuring the bottom of the windscreen is clean with no leaves, twigs or dirt, this will help keep the spiders away. You could use a cloth, vacuum or your hands if comfortable.

We done all these steps with all 7 cars, each step became quicker and easier to do as we moved on.

We also ran through some safety aspects on how to sit and drive in a comfortable driving position whilst being safe. This includes the type of footwear to wear and more importantly, not to wear and how it can legally get you in hot water.

There are also steps of what to do in case of an emergency.Its a good idea to have a car safety kit, The Ashbury Service Center showed us a St johns Kit. I admit i don't have one in my car, but considering getting one its so important and you never know when you might need.

In the end we received a little certificate for completion of Ladies Car Care Course, A voucher for a e safety check ($39) which all cars need if they are older than 5 years old and a set of comprehensive course notes a few days later.

I went home happy, confident and proud, from walking in not knowing how to open a bonnet i walked out with so much more knowledge and skills.

Thanks Nicole, Danny and Manuel.



Ladies Car Care Courses are available at Ashbury Service Centre




Christina xx


** This course was kindly gifted for review, all opinions are my own.

16 comments:

  1. This is genius! My dad has showed me a few things but there is so much I would struggle with if it went wrong. I'd love to do one of these!

    Laura || www.thelifeoflaura.com.au xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is amazing!! Good on you! If there is one in Melbourne I be delighted to take part. I don't have a male figure in my life to help me with the car stuff! Mem is uselss with cars haha...And if I do ask someone its feels like I am a burden I would love to do this course! We might have to Face time so you can show me.

    Really loved this post!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I picked up most of these when I first learning to drive, but a refresher is always good! I loved point 5 in particular. :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the idea of this !! I wonder if it exists here in Perth.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is awesome! They should get this course into schools for grade 12 students. Thanks for sharing your experience :)

    Bella | www.digyhu.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great idea! I literally can't even put petrol in the car. I don't drive as much as hubby, and he always does it, haha

    Di from Max The Unicorn

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a great idea for ladies who aren't sure about their cars haha

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds amazing. I feel a bit ashamed that I don't know much about my car, so a course like this would be lovely for me if one existed in Adelaide xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks amazing! Now if anyone from you facing the bald patch problem and want to get the perfect treatment then he/she should make their appointment with our clinic. We gives you reliable hair transplant in Amritsar with guarantee and permanent results.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I haven't changed oil in a car in ages, partly because I don't own one and when I did, my dad did it for me, but it would be important to have a car when you have children

    x
    Ironic Minimalist | www.ironicminimalist.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. wow this is incredible, I didn't know this course even existed. I will have to look into it in my area, I would love to know more. Thank you for sharing your experience

    Michaela
    www.graceandcoy.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. You have inspired me to find something like this in my area

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think a course like this is an awesome idea!!

    Amy // www.thenoiseinwonderland.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Again I need to find something like this in Perth. I am going to get my entire family on this. It is one of my biggest fears being stuck in a car breakdown situation.

    ReplyDelete
  15. To know the main reasons for hair loss you can easily follow the given link and read our new blog post. We provide you best information that you're seeking for.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This blog may be helpful for those who don't know about Car Servicing and its normal parts so i think this course will be suitable for me and others who have passion for this.

    ReplyDelete