Wednesday 7 February 2018

Back to Work: 5 snacks you can keep at your desk for a healthier 2018

With February already here,  Blackmores Wellbeing Coach and Naturopath Danielle Steedman shows how to fast track your optimum wellbeing goals in 2018 by keeping healthy in the office.. Here are her top picks on what you should be snacking on during the work week.



1. Unsalted nuts and seeds – These are packed with natural fats and energy, so a handful of nuts and seeds a day is a perfect afternoon snack or something to just throw on top of your lunch. Avoid the salted kind and stick to naturals or roasted as they’re low in sodium and the roasting process brings out their delicious flavour.
Tip: Add nuts or seeds to your overnight oats if you don’t enjoy them alone and allow the flavour to mix in with your chosen fruit and milk.



2. Fresh fruit – There’s nothing more refreshing on a hot day than snacking on some cool watermelon. Due to it containing large amounts of water, it will keep you feeling good about your afternoon snack but also well hydrated if you’re not a fan of drinking 2L of water all day, every day.
Tip: Store the fruit in the fridge if possible to keep it cool and prevent the heat from drying it out.

3. Chopped up vegetables and salad items, such as carrot, celery, cucumber – Cucumbers in particular are made up of 96% water which is great to hydrate your body but also a great snack. Carrots are also fantastic as a snack with their high count of Vitamin A, so cut them in quarters and store in a zip lock bag for when you’re ready to eat.
Tip: Pair it with some Greek yoghurt for a fantastic and refreshing afternoon snack to stop you reaching for that chocolate bar.

4. Greek yoghurt is protein-packed snack that is also a great source of natural bacteria to support your overall gut health.
Tip: Add some natural herbs to your yoghurt to give it a punch in flavor, or pair with a fruit salad.

5. A boiled egg with avocado – this is my go-to mid-morning snack that keeps me satisfied right up until lunch time, as its high protein nature keeps me fuller for longer and tastes great. The avocado is also a healthy fat which may help the body in maintaining the LDL levels of (good) cholesterol and reduce the HDL levels (bad cholesterol).
Tip: Smash the avocado onto a piece of wholegrain toast and add sliced egg on top for morning snack.

Blackmores is empowering Australians to take control of their health and wellbeing. Kickstart your wellbeing journey in 2018 with the Blackmores Wellbeing Check at www.wellbeingcheck.com.au

Speak to your healthcare practitioner if symptoms persist. Always read the label. Use only as directed. Supplements may only be of assistance if dietary intake is inadequate.

9 comments:

  1. I love fresh fruit, especially watermelon, strawberries and grapes. Yum!

    Di from Max The Unicorn

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was hoping for new ideas but I've tried all but 5 - cannot stand boiled egg! I do love a good poached egg on avocado toast though!
    Ebony x

    www.theblackandwhiteguide.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such great ideas. I have a fruit box I pack the night before. hehe

    ReplyDelete
  4. I’m trying to do more fresh carrot and celery! I love them and they are such a good snack too!

    Laura | www.thelifeoflaura.com.au x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love having a punnet of blueberries on my desk to snack on at work.

    Ingrid
    http://www.fabulousandfunlife.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great tips, I am trying to add more colors through veggies and fruits in to my diet. Yogurt sounds great, it is my favorite with some cereals added into it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Delicious snack ideas! I always have nuts in my handbag. The egg and avo idea is handy when I’m feeling extra peckish!
    Isabella | www.digyhu.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. So many great recommendations. I've just started eating more greek yogurt and carrots with hummus. Delicious!

    ReplyDelete